Below is the rig I use. What have you got?

I've fished from three floats, each a step up to more successful fishing.

The first was a camo-colored canvas-covered truck innertube given me by a duck-hunting friend, who used it to retrieve fallen prizes in Texas bays. I used it enough to catch some fish and get hooked. It transitioned me away from wade fishing in bays to bass fishing in lakes.

So I got a White River Lost Lake open-front float tube from Bass Pro Shop (although I've seen them at Wal-Mart) for around $70. I've had it more than five years and it hasn't given me any trouble. I haven't really customized it. I load the side pockets with small plastic tackle boxes, lash a fishfinder on one side and a landing net on the other, but I've heard others have done some interesting things.

It served me well before I upgraded to an Outdoor Discovery Craft (ODC) 420, which is much better by far. I grabbed it as a Father's Day present last spring off eBay for $120.

The ODC has a much shallower draft, so it moves faster with less effort. You sit in less water, only an inch, and are more comfortable with the backrest. It offers more storage for gear.

I added a custom-made rod rack so I can now carry four poles. The Eagle Cuda fishfinder and battery fit in side pockets. The small storage area behind the seat comes in handy, too.

The ODC 420, as well as the U-boat, are great for stealthful fishing to sneak up close to lunkers ...

I caught this 8-pounder at Lake Shenandoah in Virginia's Blueridge Mountains.

It sounds crazy, but I'd like to motorize mine by attaching a trolling motor, so I can venture farther from the launch point. Anybody tried it? Let me know.

I can fish pretty much the year round with sweatpants under neoprime waders. It's got to be 42 degrees, though, or the cold is too distracting.

I use special fins that fit over wading shoes. That way I can take off the fins and wade fish where possible.

At first I used just one pole, mainly because I only had one good one. But whatever I tied on, something would happen in the water and I'd immediately need another presentation. So I learned to handle two poles, then three with rod holders on a wading belt. Now, with the rod rack, I work four baitcasters, each with a different presentation.

It all works for me. What works for you?

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:02 pm

VA Fish Finder

Social Links